In addition, VMware Tools automatically updates the guest’s time to match the host operating system’s time in a few other cases where the guest can be expected to have lost a large amount of time (even if periodic time synchronization is turned off ). To maintain a fictitious time, you need to set the following options to false:
tools.syncTime = FALSE
time.synchronize.continue = FALSE
time.synchronize.restore = FALSE
time.synchronize.resume.disk = FALSE
time.synchronize.shrink = FALSE
Note: Information on these settings is also available in VMware Knowledge Base article 1189.
Here is what each option controls:
• tools.syncTime — If set to TRUE, the time syncs periodically, as described above.
• time.synchronize.continue — If set to TRUE, the time syncs after taking a snapshot.
• time.synchronize.restore — If set to TRUE, the time syncs after reverting to a snapshot.
• time.synchronize.resume.disk — If set to TRUE, the time syncs after resuming from suspend.
• time.synchronize.shrink — If set to TRUE, the time syncs after defragmenting a virtual disk.